Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cut It Out!



As you may recall, I have really been taken with the cut-out silhouette that's become increasingly popular in the last several months.

At my birthday party in April, I wore a cut-out Cynthia Rowley dress:


This spring, I've been enamored of my cut-out Ash shoes:

I have never had so many compliments on a pair of shoes in my life--old and young, straight and gay, fashionable and not; all kinds of people tell me they love these shoes! (And they're so comfortable I know I'll be an Ash customer for life!)
---
I'm seeing more and more cut-out pieces on the streets of Manhattan and in stores, and thought I should write a post about some exciting pieces in this style.


This YSL reminds me of my Cynthia Rowley...just, you know, many hundreds of dollars more expensive....
---

Givenchy cut-out booties.
(Brittany Snow wore these in pink on the Gossip Girl spin-off, below)

---
Speaking of pink....

These Margielas are my most-wanted shoe of the Spring, but even at the sale price I cannot justify them. Time for the Recession (and salary freezes) to be over!
---

Gorgeous Ralph Laurens are a great alternative to the obnoxious bootie that dominated shoe fashion last Autumn.
---


Rupert Sanderson's slightly more more conventional take.
---

Fendi Tuxedo Jumpsuit, with really elegant cutout details at the shoulder. '70s perfection.
---

AMAZING Prada cut-out boot-sandals!
---

Just Cavalli dress. Reminds me a bit of detailing on certain Herve Legers.
---

Alexis Bledel in a cut-out dress.
---

A great collage of cut-out LBDs and friends from WhoWhatWear.
---
And a few looks from the Fall '09 runways: HERE
---
Some cut-out styles verge on seeming too-'90s, so if you think you'd look good wearing it to the Peach Pit/to prom with Zach Morris, it's best to avoid, e.g. THIS.

Which are your favorite pieces?
Cxx.

UPDATE: My friend CPC informs me that Donna Karan first designed the cut-out shoulder long ago and coined the silhouette "The Cold Shoulder." BRILLIANT, no? I dare you to not be madly in love with DK.

No comments: