Thursday, May 14, 2009

While we're quoting people wiser than ourself...

Despite my recent blog posts indicating the contrary...I'm not one of those people who spends my days spouting adages. From my experience, you can quote other people until you're blue in the face but it ultimately doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day you have to live your life according to the circumstances at hand.

Nevertheless, I think it's important to be able to summarize general approaches to life; the simpler, the better.

My dear friend TAG says you should be able to identify your wardrobe aesthetic in 3 words. (For the record, her adjectives are Classic, Feminine, and Preppy.)

I think there should be a similarly straight forward way to identify a life philosophy.

I grew up attending a non-Denominational Christian church. While I no longer ascribe to those beliefs, I am nevertheless a product of my upbringing. One of my favorite Biblical quotations, one that frequently plays in my mind, is from John 4:17:
"Any man who knows the good he ought to do,
but doesn't do it,
sins."

You don't have to be Christian, or even religious, to understand why this should matter. For any citizen of the world, I think it's a great mantra.

The other day, a phrase I used to love but haven't thought about in years popped into my head. This one is definitely more universal, and everyone would do well to think about it each time you prepare to make a decision:

"DO WHAT'S RIGHT FOR YOU,
AS LONG AS IT DON'T HURT NOBODY."

-Elvis Presley

Hubba Hubba.
Boy, am I glad it's Thursday.
Cxx.

1 comment:

teddi said...

Thanks for the shout-out Miss Thing!