Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Les Cages aux Folles.

I LOVE birdcages.
Obviously cages of any type have a pejorative connotation, but I think there's something terribly beautiful about birdcages.
----------
I love Lilly Pulitzer's use of birdcages as clothing racks in her original boutiques.
It's such a whimsical, witty, and absolutely unique idea.

The Madison Avenue LP store has continued this tradition by hanging dresses inside a custom-made birdcage. The owl backpack perched atop the roof is the perfect finishing flourish!

The best yet is this season's "Out to Lunch" print. I can't wait to see what delightful designs come in this FANTASTIC fabric. The Chinese chop "Lilly" emblem makes this the perfect print for half-Chinese me. LOVE IT!

----------
We can credit the atelier of Yves Saint Laurent with elevating the birdcage to an art form this spring (and, perhaps, with combining a fetish or two...).
I cannot express how I have LUSTED after these shoes.


(courtesy Style.com)

Given Manolo Blahnik's pre-Fall boot, I think this trend is here to stay.
----------
And speaking of "fetish," Dita von Teese has a birdcage routine in her repertoire that must be positively enchanting, no matter your thoughts on burlesque.

----------
I like birdcages so much that when, last Autumn, I heard a restaurant was opening with a "birdcage large enough to seat four," I quickly dragged of 7 my friends to the West Village for dinner at Sweetiepie. Thanks to my smooth-talking boyfriend, we were able to perch in the sweet spot.

----------
Of course, there are some not-so-literal ways to incorporate birdcages into your interior.

Single Stone Studios Etsy shop's birdcage decals for your wall. // Anthropologie lamp.

Sweet Tweets, my chickadees.
Cxx.

4 comments:

BLC :o said...

Lovely post! I heart birdcages too. Even the movie makes me smile. Xoxo-BLC

teddi said...

You and the Per-mo really should have spoken French at dinner. Especially since we were at a French restaurant. I think. Oh well, next time.

Lula Mae said...

Love the pic of Lilly and that restaurant looks so cool!

Erica Prather said...

Ok what the hell...I am obsessed w/ birds right now and I have a bird house display in my living room!