Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Weekend Recap: One of the most pleasant in recent memory.

FRIDAY.
After my stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge, the Bunny convinced me to have dinner at Daniel Boulud's first downtown restaurant, DBGB (located yards away from the former CBGB).


EJS and Me. // We made The Bunny sit by himself.

Then CHW joined us, so I showed The Bunny a bit of love.


Left: My burger. After all, the resto's name stands for "Daniel Boulud Good Burger."
Right: EJS' amazing hot dog.

Leave it to the French to make a perfect souffle. I'm glad my friends lent helping hands with eating this treat.

SATURDAY.
The Bunny and I joined EJS and AKK for brunch at August in the West Village, one of my favorite brunch spots. It was EJS and AKK's first time there and they loved it, too!

My burger. YES, another burger. Don't judge. // The Bunny's Eggs en Cocotte.

With EJS and AKK, happy after a delicious brunch.

We walked off our meals by venturing over to the Meatpacking District to visit The High Line (which I previously blogged about) on its opening weekend!


A view of the elevated line from the Street.


As you walk up the stairs from the Gansevoort Street entrance, a view of The Standard Hotel greets you.


Nature and man-made rail lines intertwined.



Standing on the old rail ties.


A view of DVF's apartment (glass geometric building).


Another souvenir photo from our great day together.




View of the Empire State Building.


The High Line is well equipped to be a great public park with plenty of seating areas. //
Some of the lounge seats have wheels and can roll along the old rail tracks!


A glassed-off section peers onto 10th Avenue. // How it looks from the Street level.


Meta.

As we neared the end of the open part of the High Line (two more sections are under construction), the rain began to fall. We hurried to shelter inside of Chelsea Market, where we snacked on Fat Witch brownies and Eleni's cookies.

I think my friends are so lovely under their umbrellas.

E for EJS. // My lobster cookie is now a cull... // A for AKK.

We were all having such fun together that we continued to find ways to entertain ourselves as a group. We shopped on Fifth Avenue, where I typed on the Kate Spade "Tweetwriter" typewriter. You can type a message under 140 characters, and it may appear on Kate's Twitter!


"I love that Kate is from Kansas just like me! love, CJM"

AKK, the Southern Belle, purchased a wide brim sun hat at J.Crew; I made her model it at dinner. We all saw the movie "UP" at a theatre in Chelsea, said a quick hello to LAT at The Blind Tiger, and finished our night with dinner at Home in the West Village.

AKK in her new hat. // Chocolate chip cookies at Home, courtesy of the management.

SUNDAY.
I missed the Big Apple BBQ (which I attended last year) but still craved BBQ. I satiated my hunger with a BBQ fix at Hill Country instead. I am very biased toward Blue Smoke, but Hill Country serves EXCELLENT brisket. And though I am a lactard, I appreciate the authenticity of their serving Blue Bell ice cream! It's a true blue Texas joint! The Bunny and I were fortunate enough to have our friend DJ join us. It was a great time, and several hours of good eating and fun conversation had passed before we knew it.

Green Bean Casserole, Campfire Baked Beans, Lean Briskets, and Iced Tea. //
A PB&J Cupcake: Tastes just like the sandwich and has grape jelly inside!


Sunday evening brought me back to reality, but it was truly good while it lasted.
Cxx.

4 comments:

LPC said...

Oooh I miss Manhattan. Even though it's been 25 years since I lived there...

Unknown said...

I can't wait to check out the highline! We're planning on going in a couple of weeks (when the weather is a bit nicer!). Love the public seating...we might have to make it there extra early to grab a few chairs.

BLC :o said...

Oh what a fun weekend!? And, the lobster cookie is cracking me up. Xoxo-BLC

Unknown said...

Hill Country is owned and run by a bunch of Austin-ites... it is pretty good for bbq in NYC!